Frequently Asked Questions

Who is considered a client of an Outfitter?

A client is any individual that signs a contract to utilize the hunting services of a registered outfitter.

How do I file a complaint against an Outfitter?

To file a complaint against an Outfitter or Guide member of NMCOG please email To file a complaint against an Outfitter or Guide who is not an member of NMCOG you must go through the NM Dept. of Game and Fish. To report a poaching please contact Operation Game Thief by calling 1-800-432-4263.

Do I have to engage in a written contract with an Outfitter?

Yes! NM State Law requires that outfitters provide a written contract for any big game outfitting services. Clients are responsible for understanding the details of the written contract as well as the services agreed upon. For hunting licenses obtained through the Big Game Draw, contracts must be signed and executed prior to applying to be entered into the 10% special draw pool. It is unlawful for a hunter to use an Outfitter's number to apply for the Big Game Draw without having a valid and signed Hunter/Outfitter contract.

Does the Outfitter need to physically accompany me on my hunt?

Yes! An Outfitter, or their hired and guide, shall ensure that the client is accompanied by a registered guide or outfitter for at least two days while the hunters license is valid. Outfitters shall provide one registered guide or outfitter in the field for every four hunters. 

Can a landowner operate hunts on their public lease land without being a registered NM outfitter?

No! In order for an individual to conduct business on any portion of public land they must possess a special use permit issued by the land management agency. As a condition of the "special use permit" of all land management agencies (Forest Service, BLM, and the NM State Land Office) to operate hunts on public land an individual must be a NMDGF registered outfitter. 

Please email your questions to